Frequently Asked Questions

Are you a licensed Electrician?
Yes, we are registered under Energy Safe Victoria and have our Registered Electrical Contractors license, as well as being Licensed Electricians. Always ask your electrician to show you their license.
Are you a qualified rewiring Electrician?
We have been rewiring houses around inner Melbourne for many years now, and have the expertise to do any house to a high and safe standard.
How do I know if my house needs rewiring?
If you find black colored cables entering the consumer unit, this is an immediate sign that the wiring needs replacing, it has been installed in the 50s and inadequate for today's use. Modern electrical cables are manufactured in white thermo plastic sheathing and are insulated by a coating of TPS, this cabling also has red for (live), black (neutral) and most importantly green/yellow for earthing. - the old black cables were insulated with rubber, which perishes and decays with age. You will also find there will be no earth present with this type of PVR cabling.
What are some of the compulsory tests that are necessary in order to verify that the electrical work complies with all documented guidance?
(a) Checking for continuity of the earthing system. (b) Insulation resistance (c) Polarity (d) Correct circuit links (e) Verification of impedance required for automatic Disconnection of supply (earth fault-loop impedance) (f) Operation of RCDs AS/NZS 3017 “Electrical Installations
Is there a difference between an electrician and an electrical contractor?
Yes, An electrician is a worker in the electrical industry that has completed the relevant training and accreditation. Whilst and electrical contractor is a business that holds the appropriate insurances and licences to employ Electricians to complete electrical work.
What Is a safety switch and do I need one?
Safety switches are designed to save lives. They detect the loss of current from a circuit that indicates a person is receiving an electricshock, and they cut the power in as little as 30 milliseconds. Safety switches have been mandatory on the power outlet circuits of new homes since the early 1990s, and on the light and power circuits of new homes in most states since 2000. But many older homes do not have safety switches, and circuits such as air-conditioning, pool filters, hot water and stoves are not protected in most homes. (
What are your hours of business and do you have a emergency service?
Our normal business hours are from 7am- 5pm. We are also available outside these hours for any electrical emergencies, go to our contact page for our details.
Are you insured?
Yes, we have public liability insurance and can provide documentation on request.
My smoke alarm is beeping. What can I do?
Smoke alarms will beep for a number of reasons. Generally changing the battery inside the unit will stop it from beeping. If you are unsure how to do this contact Nord to have one of our electricians repair this for you.
What are some easy ways I can save money on my electricity usage around my home?
Installing ceiling fans and dimmers are some of the many ways to save power around your home. Contact Nord today to complete a home energy audit to find out how you can reduce your energy consumption.
Are down lights energy saving?
LED downlights use a fraction of the electricity of conventional downlights. There is a light for every application and Nord electricians are able to recommend the best solution to your situation.
What areas do you service?
We service the inner areas of Melbourne